Let It Grow Organic Gardens

And I resumed the struggle. -Vladimir

Monday, October 29, 2007

Killing Frost

It came in last night, not exactly on cat's feet, but it was gentle and snow. I couldn't see out the windows when I woke up, and I cracked the frozen little blades of grass when I walked up to open the chicken coop door.
The good people of Asheville will get no more basil from Let It Grow, and I shudder to think of the insect death tally from last night. Mass carnage of weeds, tender annuals and arthropods, all in the space of a few hours.
And yes, I did check the pumpkins. And yes, there was frost on same.
All this comes, coincidentally enough, just as I'm kicking clean-up mode into high gear, for I leave for Texas in a week. Ten more tons of rocks to move to the new greenhouse, a bit of work on the truck, draining anything that will freeze out of anything holding anything that will freeze, a bit more rye down, and we'll be winterproof.
Could use some more firewood.
This has not been a well documented year, blogwise, because of some electronic defeciencies on the farm, but I plan to remedy that for next year.
Anyway, some stuff happened, trust me.
I ran into a bunch of our CSA customers at the one year anniversary of Marshall's hippest new health food store, Good Stuff, and got plenty of thank yous. We started off well with the CSA, and then thr drought hit. It was with a certain lack of confidence that we were distributing boxes in mid-summer, and then, with cooler weather, felt good about them again. We feel a continueing need to provide and absolutely fabulous CSA box every week, 'cause people have already paid us, and because people have cast their lot with us, or with the fields, and haven't done any shopping, anyway. A weak table, or a table without variety, at a farmer's market isn't so bad - people buy what the need and leave the rest. But a weak CSA box - it makes me feel like I haven't had enough for dinner. The thank yous and the commiserating over the weather was good for me - even better was when customers said they'd join us again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger