Let It Grow Organic Gardens

And I resumed the struggle. -Vladimir

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Perhaps It's Only A Matter of Syntax

We trellised the tomatoes today, and made inquiries into their emotions.
Every so often we'd stop and reflect, and say, "Boy, do they look happy."
It's one of those things you say when you can't think of anything else to say.
Finally, Intern #1 wonders if tomatoes can be happy.
"You're right," I conceded. "Perhaps we're wrong to anthropomorphize the tomatoes."
Intern #3 asked what anthropomorphize means.
Intern #1 said I just made it up.
"Wrong!" I countered, on high ground. "To attribute human thought patterns or emotions to animals or inanimate objects. Hah!"
"I thought that was 'personify',"Intern #1 said.
"Excellent point," I allowed. "I don't know the difference between 'anthropomorphize' and 'personify'. I know a research librarian, though. I bet she knows."
"Is she cute?" was Intern #1's immediate response.
"Yeah," I said. "And knows the alphabet, too."
It was just another day at Let It Grow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger