Let It Grow Organic Gardens

And I resumed the struggle. -Vladimir

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Cabbage Is Smiling

I couldn’t resist.

I dug up a cabbage seed.

I knew I would. I do it every year.

They’d been planted a few days ago. I go look at them every day. They hadn’t come up yet. I knew they wouldn’t have. So I dug one up.

Yep. I little white sproutlet – known in the trade as a radical – had emerged from the seed.

And if that happened to one, it means it’s happened to all of them. All 864 of them.

And it’s safe to assume the same is true of the kale and the broccoli.

But I didn’t check. No. I let all of them be, nestled in their little cubelets of potting soil. I talked to them, though. I talk to them every time I pass them. They’re all with me here in the kitchen, stacked up about four feet high, close to the wood stove.

They’ll poke their little leaflets up tomorrow or the next day, looking for the fat old sun, and I’ll take them to the greenhouse.

1 Comments:

  • At February 19, 2005 4:01 PM, Blogger amy said…

    i feel like we should throw a sprout shower for you and the new additions. congrats- it's a very exciting time! (i'm being totally serious- i'm just as obsessed about my little basil sprouts)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger