Let It Grow Organic Gardens

And I resumed the struggle. -Vladimir

Monday, September 05, 2005

I've received a Chain Letter

It was exciting. And, I'm due to get $285,319.00 in the mail with-in a month.
My worries are over.
I didn't think there was such a thing as chain letters. I thought they were one of those things that everyone talks about but they don't really have them. Like UFOs or lawn jockeys or something.
I got one. A real one.
Also, if you'll look at the Comments part of the previous post, you'll notice I got some kind of computer generated mass mailing promo thing. I'm sure there's some really hip internet word that you're supposed to call those things. I haven't clicked on the link because I'm convinced that it's going to give my computer a virus and everything will die.
I like being singled out as part of the masses.
Chain letters and spam and stuff like that, it's almost like being called by the Gallup people.
A few years ago I got a letter from Sears where the guaranteed my satisfaction with some aluminum siding they were offering. This is nothing to be taken lightly. I'm pretty picky when it comes to aluminum siding, and if Sears was promising that I'd be completely satisfied then it must've been some pretty good stuff.
This was when I first moved here - oh, years ago.
I lived amidst twenty years of neglect. The building were run-down and everything was overgrown. Old junk lay in piles all over the place. I'd only started to clean everything up. and had barely made a dent in it.
I wanted to call Sears and have them send a salesman out. My friend A* was in on it with me. She was going to greet the guy at the door in curlers and a housecoat. We were going to take him to the chicken coop, first.
"How much to do this one," we'd ask, and, "What color would you recommend?"
We'd take him to every building on the farm and, with complete earnestness, ask if he could put aluminum siding on it.
We had the whole thing worked out but figured the poor guy would be working on commission. He probably wouldn't get anything for putting up with us, and we decided to spare him. It just may have given him a story he would have told and retold forever, but, maybe, he had better places to be.

4 Comments:

  • At September 06, 2005 9:15 AM, Blogger amy said…

    sounds like the SPAMBOTS found you.

     
  • At September 06, 2005 10:42 AM, Blogger Casey said…

    I didn't know people still did real chain letters--not the email kind. How fun! Will I be getting one? I don't know if I know how to write real letters anymore . . .

    Speaking of gutter people, I've got asbestos removal people coming to my home today. Ick.

     
  • At September 06, 2005 10:38 PM, Blogger Frank said…

    You are waaaay hip, Aim.

     
  • At September 06, 2005 10:50 PM, Blogger Frank said…

    Oh. And ...
    You called my bluff, C. I didn't really respond to the chain letter. But I'm going to go through this neatly organised pile of recycling stuff next to me desk to see if I can find it. I'll send you a copy so you can see what they look like. And I'll save my copy. It's just that it's the kind of thing I want to know I have tucked in a box in a closet, somewhere. That's comforting to me, somehow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger